advertisement
Business News

Canadian Government Renews Creative Export Strategy to Promote Culture on the Global Stage

Launched in 2018, the initiative is designed to enhance the export opportunities for Canadian culture across music and other sectors, including funding for the Canada Music Fund. The federal government will distribute $95-million over the next five years.

The federal government is permanently investing in Canada’s cultural scene.

Last week (May 12), Marc Miller, minister of Canadian identity and culture, announced the fixed renewal of the Creative Export Strategy (CES), an initiative designed to promote the country’s creative sectors beyond Canada.


Initially launched in 2018 under the Trudeau government, the strategy has benefitted some of the country’s biggest cultural funds, including the Canada Music Fund, the Canada Book Fund, the Canada Arts Presentation Fund and Telefilm Canada.

Miller claimed that the federal government will distribute $95-million over the next five years to the strategy — approximately $19 million annually — which will be maintained at $19 million per year after.

advertisement

“There was some talk about not renewing this, and frankly we were quite nervous that it wouldn’t. But the Prime Minister was quite clear in saying that this not only needs to be renewed, but it needs to be made permanent,” Miller told the Globe and Mail.

“It’s amazing to have a Prime Minister who is putting culture at the centre of his export strategy,” he added, noting that maintaining this initiative is “important from an economic perspective, but also as a part of radiating Canadian culture inside Canada, and outside.”

During its conception, the CES was proposed as a five-year $125-million initiative to elevate the export potential of Canadian culture initiatives.

Since 2018, the CES has benefitted over 3,200 Canadian businesses and organizations, reached 120 international markets and generated $167.7-million in commercial deals, according to Canadian Heritage, which leads the selection of delegating funds to initiatives.

During his speech, the culture minister pointed to the success of Crave’s Heated Rivalry. The Canadian production has catapulted its predominantly homegrown cast and crew into mainstream fame, and shone a light on the Canadian artists soundtracking the six episodes, including Wolf Parade, Feist and more.

advertisement

“The reason it’s doing so well is that it was supported from us,” Miller said. “They were passed over by a lot of American studios. And we embrace the risk and trust their instinct.”

This news follows the renewal of the Canada Music Fund, which received a $48-million renewal in the 2025 federal budget last November. It kicked in this year and is set to be distributed over the next three years. The fund’s renewal extended the $16 million annual boost that was announced as a temporary two-year top-up in 2024.

For over four decades, the Canada Music Fund has been crucial to Canada’s music economy, supporting organizations like FACTOR and Musicaction, two of the country's biggest and most influential music grants.

That financial boost has proved to be beneficial — last month, FACTOR announced its plan to implement $2 million in funding for music, specifically into its Promoter Program and Festival Program. Both initiatives are intended to “strengthen cultural sovereignty by investing in Canadian artists, live music and music festivals.”

“At a time of rising costs and increased competition from foreign-owned companies, this support will enable our promoters and festivals to continue bringing Canadian artists to stages across the country and marketing those performances effectively, helping artists grow their audiences and careers,” says Meg Symsyk, president & CEO of FACTOR.

advertisement

It has yet to be revealed which Canadian organizations and initiatives will receive financial support amidst the CES’ renewal.

advertisement
Stick Figure
Courtesy Photo

Stick Figure

Chart Beat

Stick Figure’s ‘Angels Above Me’ Debuts on the Billboard Canadian Hot 100 Following Viral AI Copycat

The U.S. reggae act are the latest victim of alleged AI infringement version after a generated remix of their track went viral on TikTok. Also this week: two of Michael Jackson’s biggest hits make their debut on the chart, while Drake's catalogue rises on the Billboard Canadian Albums chart.

An AI copycat controversy has vaulted a 2019 song onto the Canadian charts.

Stick Figure’s “Angels Above Me” debuts this week at No. 98 on the Billboard Canadian Hot 100, dated May 23.

keep reading Show less
advertisement