advertisement
Music News

Benson Boone Covers Sam Fender’s ‘Seventeen Going Under’ at Montreux Jazz Festival

"I really hope that the people who came to see Sam today can get just five per cent out of this song," Boone told the crowd.

Benson Boone Covers Sam Fender’s ‘Seventeen Going Under’ at Montreux Jazz Festival

Benson Boone

Door 24

Benson Boone has offered up a cover of Sam Fender’s “Seventeen Going Under” at Switzerland’s Montreux Jazz Festival after the U.K. artist was forced to pull out of the event.

Fender had been scheduled to headline the July 15 edition of the event, performing on a bill that also included Boone and Mark Ambor. However, he announced earlier this month (July 4) that he would be unable to perform after being diagnosed with a “haemorrhage on one of [his] vocal cords” and advised to rest for two weeks.


“This is incredibly frustrating as I have been so careful with my vocal health and this year so far has been the best of my career,” he wrote. “If I were to play at these next shows I would risk causing lasting damage to my vocal cords.”

advertisement

While no replacement act stepped in to fill Fender’s shoes, Boone instead was ultimately relegated to headliner status. “He’s an artist that I look up to and an artist I think is incredibly talented, but did anyone come here to see Sam Fender today?” he asked the crowd.

As Boone continued, he explained that he was “terrified” of the prospect of taking over Fender’s slot, and had been “expecting a bunch of angry people” instead of adoring fans.

However, to appease those who had anticipated Fender’s presence, Boone paid tribute to the absent artist by offering up a rendition of the 2021 single “Seventeen Going Under.”

“I really hope that the people who came to see Sam today can get just five per cent out of this song,” he explained. “It’s a beautiful song.”

Fender’s most recent album, People Watching, was released in February and served as the follow-up to Seventeen Going Under. However, its release was also marred by a hemorrhaging of his vocal cord, which had caused Fender to cancel a handful of shows months earlier.

advertisement

“I’ve had two separate ENT doctors say if I perform tonight I’m risking lasting damage to my voice and I have been advised to be on vocal rest and not use my voice for a prolonged length of time until it heals,” Fender told fans on Dec. 17.

Fender is currently scheduled to return to the stage on Aug. 8, with a headline performance at Denmark’s Syd For Solen festival.

This article was first published by Billboard U.S.

advertisement
Carly Rae Jepsen
Meredith Jenks

Carly Rae Jepsen

Pop

604 Records Co-Founder Jonathan Simkin Says Carly Rae Jepsen Recorded a Whole Unreleased Album Around 'Call Me Maybe'

The British Columbia-native was signed to Interscope Records, but was reportedly tasked to make a brand new record with all new producers.

An unreleased Carly Rae Jepsen project exists out in the music ether, according to Jonathan Simkin.

In a recent podcast episode of I Hate Simkin, the 604 Records co-founder reveals that prior to the No. 1 success of Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe,” an entire project had been made — but it didn’t make it to the masses.

keep readingShow less
advertisement