By David Farrell
– Birdsong Foundation has announced seven singer-songwriters that have been selected to record material for an album sponsored by Foundation founder Margaret Konopacki. Those selected are Allan Kinney, Jordan Gowan, Matthew Johnston, Mike Emmet, Robin Benedict, Statia, and Ashley Bell. Konopacki set up the charitable org as a sort of living memory to her deceased son with a goal of providing a creative outlet for musicians who live with mental illness to get their music and message out to the world.
– Michael Raine has been named Editor in Chief at NWC, Jim Norris’s communications firm which publishes Canadian Musician, Canadian Music Trade, Professional Sound and Professional Lighting & Production.
–CHFI became the go-to FM outlet in Toronto for continuous Xmas music at 5 pm Monday with Mariah Carey’s 1994 hit All I Want for Christmas selected as the seasonal opener.
– Nick Krewen’s recent Toronto Star feature about Joni Mitchell’s early years playing in Yorkville has been endorsed by the singer-songwriter and is now posted on Joni’s website.
– Yes, We Canada is a new satirical podcast series from musician and media maven Matt Zimbel that explains the north for progressives eager to flee the American carnage and immigrate to Canada, when the border reopens. Zimbel, an American ex-pat who moved to PEI when he was 14, now considers himself an ‘AmeriCanadian’ - remarkably pushy but incredibly polite.” You can listen to Yes, We Canada on Spotify.
– Charles Khabouth reinvents success in a parking lot. Driving business during a pandemic hasn't been easy, but with some creativity, tenacity and incredible partners, the INK Entertainment crew at CityView Drive-In was able to make it happen. With 35 events, 20,000 guests and a nomination for best live music venue, director of live music Jonathan Ramos discusses this unique experience with CityNews.
INK Ent. Is the company helmed by lifestyle entrepreneur Charles Khabouth whose successful brands include a fleet of restaurants, luxury hotels, clubs and the VELD Music Festival.
The group’s first new song in over a decade is tied to a sanctioned 2021 tour of Australia and New Zealand. The tour and new music feature founding members Neil Finn and Nick Seymour along with producer and keyboardist Mitchell Froom, guitarist and singer Liam Finn and drummer Elroy Finn. The video for Whatever You Want stars Canada’s own Mac DeMarco who makes his acting debut here.