advertisement
Awards

2023 MTV EMAs Canceled Due to ‘Volatility of World Events’

This marks the first time the show has been nixed since it was launched in 1994.

2023 MTV EMAs Canceled Due to ‘Volatility of World Events’

Just over two weeks before MTV EMAs were set to take place on Sunday, Nov. 5, in Paris, Paramount announced on Thursday (Oct. 19) that the show has been canceled “given the volatility of world events.” This marks the first time the show has been canceled since it was launched in 1994. Even during the pandemic, the show went on as scheduled.

A company spokesperson said in a statement: “Given the volatility of world events, we have decided not to move forward with the 2023 MTV EMAs out of an abundance of caution for the thousands of employees, crew members, artists, fans and partners who travel from all corners of the world to bring the show to life. The MTV EMAs are an annual celebration of global music. As we watch the devastating events in Israel and Gaza continue to unfold, this does not feel like a moment for a global celebration. With thousands of lives already lost, it is a moment of mourning. We look forward to hosting the MTV EMAs again in November of 2024


advertisement

Jung Kook, The Kid LAROI, Sabrina Carpenter, Coi Leray and Rema were among the artists who were set to perform live on the show, which was to have broadcast live on MTV in more than 150 countries on Sunday, Nov. 5, from Paris Nord Villepinte.

Other performers who were set to perform on the show were Anne-Marie, David Guetta, Manuel Turizo, Ozuna, Reneé Rapp and Thirty Seconds to Mars.

Bruce Gillmer and Richard Godfrey were set to be executive producers for the 2023 MTV EMAs. Debbie Phillips and Chloe Mason were producers. The 2023 MTV EMAs is sponsored by Dolby and Paramount+.

This article first appeared on Billboard U.S.

advertisement
Carly Rae Jepsen
Meredith Jenks

Carly Rae Jepsen

Pop

604 Records Co-Founder Jonathan Simkin Says Carly Rae Jepsen Recorded a Whole Unreleased Album Around 'Call Me Maybe'

The British Columbia-native was signed to Interscope Records, but was reportedly tasked to make a brand new record with all new producers.

An unreleased Carly Rae Jepsen project exists out in the music ether, according to Jonathan Simkin.

In a recent podcast episode of I Hate Simkin, the 604 Records co-founder reveals that prior to the No. 1 success of Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe,” an entire project had been made — but it didn’t make it to the masses.

keep readingShow less
advertisement