Music News Digest, April 4, 2018
Drake is hinting that he is readying the release of a new album as he
By FYI Staff
Drake is hinting that he is readying the release of a new album as he hits his 10th week on Billboard’s Hot 100 with “God’s Plan.” According to Billboard mag, the entry makes him the first male solo artist to land two 10-week number ones on the respective chart. “God’s Plan” matches the feat of “One Dance” in 2016. For chart enthusiast, the US trade mag informs that latest track becomes the 36th of 1,071 No. 1’s to lead for at least 10 weeks — and the fifth to have spent at least the first 10 weeks on top.
Rolling in wealth, Drizzy can be a generous sort and as much a spendthrift too. Check out his solid gold Air Jordans that are said to have cost US$2M.
– Jay-Z gives David Letterman a lesson on what makes a good rapper in this clip from OKMy Next Guest Needs No Introduction with David Letterman, premiering April 6th on Netflix.
– Fubar mockumentary film star Dean "Deaner" Murdoch and his band Nightseeker release their debut Royal Mountain album, A Space-Rock Sex Odyssey, on April 20, and tease with the kick-ass advance video track “Shotgun Beer,” directed by Liam Hamilton.
– Music Nova Scotia is teaming up with CN Media Services and giving Maritime acts the opportunity to have their music video played in the four coastal provinces. CN Media Services manages and operates Eastlink MyGuide and MyGuide2 Channels throughout Atlantic Canada. By submitting your video, you could potentially have it aired a minimum of 168 times a week to Eastlink’s over 322K customers in the region. To take advantage of this offer, entrants must provide a download link for your video (i.e. Dropbox, Box, Google Drive), but not YouTube or Vimeo links.
– Canadian country star Jess Moskaluke spent much of the recent Juno Week in Vancouver recovering from the flu, but she received one cool surprise then. Her label, MDM Recordings, presented Moskaluke with a Gold Single award plaque, for the track "Kiss Me Quiet." Another hit single, “Cheap Wine & Cigarettes,” earned Platinum status in 2016.
– Juno-winning Canadian pianist Adrean Farrugia and US saxophonist Joel Frahm celebrate the release of their new album, BLUED DHARMA, at Gallery 345 in Toronto on April 27, as part of the TD Discovery Series Special Projects. Recorded in NYC, this album of duets includes previously unrecorded works by Farrugia as well as explorations of standard songs from the Great American Songbook.